Think, problem solve, create!
Children develop creativity, social skills and fine motor skills with open-ended art projects where they can make choices, use their imaginations, and create with their hands.
On Artsy Thursday, celebrate the joy and learning children experience when engaged in creative art making.
Use any materials — crayons, paint, clay or recycled cardboard. Create and share photos of your children’s creations on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the hashtag #woyc20. Be sure to tag the museum at @ideaMuseum on Facebook and @ideaMuseumMesa on Twitter and Instagram.
Start with a story!
Books we love about art and creativity:
- The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds
- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
Create a “marble” painting
- Marbles or small rubber balls
- Box lid or shallow container
1. Place a sheet of paper inside the box lid or shallow container.
2. Add several drops of paint in the colors of your choice.
3. Add 3 or 4 marbles or rubber balls.
4. Tilt the lid from side to side, spreading the paint around the paper until you are done creating.
Make sun catchers!
Option 1: Coffee filter sun catchers with watercolors
- Coffee filters
Before you start, place a disposable plate or another item you have handy that you don’t mind getting messy to catch the excess paint from this activity.
1. Fold the coffee filter in half at least two or three times.
2. Add several drops of each watercolor until the filter is covered in paint.
3. Unfold and let dry.
4. Use scissors to cut into the shape of your choosing.
5. Hang near a window.
Option 2: Coffee filter sun catchers with markers
- Coffee filters
- Spray bottle
Before you start, place a disposable plate or another item you have handy that you don’t mind getting messy to catch the excess watercolor from this activity.
1. Use the markers to color your coffee filter.
2. Fill a spray bottle with water.
3. Spray the coffee filter with water. Try not to spray the coffee filter too much, the more water you spray the less vivid your colors will be.
4. Let dry.
5. Use scissors to cut into the shape of your choosing.
6. Hang near a window
Enjoy an artful day!