This fun writing process encourages kids of any age to exercise their imagination.
Writing activities help build vocabulary, problem solving and communication skills. This activity has been adapted from an interactive from the Sci-Fi: Fantasy to Reality exhibition.
- Story cube templates (click below to open the printout for each)
- Glue or tape
- Markers, pens or pencils (your favorite tool to write or draw)
- Your imagination!
Steps for creating story cubes
1. Cut along the outer lines of the cube template
2. Fold along all inside lines
3. Glue the tabs and fold the template to make a cube
You are the author!
Next, create a prompt for your sci-fi story using the color-coded story cubes. Roll the cubes (like dice) in this order: green, red, blue and yellow.
Finally, set up the dice in order to use as prompts for your story. Then, draw or write your story!