As your child becomes more comfortable with block play, add some challenges with interconnecting blocks.
- Fine motor skills
- Following directions
- Cause & effect
- Elements of design and building
Nurturing your child
Some tips for making the most of your play experience:
- Demonstrate how the different pieces connect to each other and discuss the different shapes and colors of the pieces.
- Allow your child to build freely.
- Ask about their creation.
Some questions you might ask:
- What piece will be next?
- What would happen if …(make a suggestion, such as changing out blocks or going higher)
- Is it (the item constructed) used for anything?
- Why did they chose to build that object?
- What’s the story of your building/design?
Continue the learning by:
- Drawing a plan for your own creation.
- Building with everyday objects at home.
- Using ideas in books to create building challenges.