On this World Storytelling Day, we are sharing a classic story – a folktale told over time – The Little Red Hen. Take time to read it together.
The Little Red Hen is in the public domain and considered a folktale, shared in an oral storytelling tradition over time. It also has a lesson. That provides some great conversation starters after you finish listening to the story.
Some questions to ask after reading the book together:
- What do you think was the lesson of the story?
- Why do you think Little Red Hen asked the other animals for help?
- Why do you think the animals answered the way they did?
- What do you think you would do if you were asked to help?
- Have you heard different versions of this story? Tell me what you think of those versions and if you have a favorite.
After you finish story time, take time to encourage imaginative play based on the story or art-making just like our Gallery Educators do when they present a story in ArtVille.